Saturday, September 30, 2006

Qi Baishi (Chi Baishi, Ch’i Pai-shih)

Qi Baishi
Qi Baishi was a Chinese painter whose long life and career extended from the mid 19th to mid 20th centuries.

When he was young his frailty made him incapable of working the lands of his family farm and he was permitted to apprentice to a carpenter. He went on into cabinet making and carving and upon discovering The Mustard Seed Garden, the traditional manual of Chinese painting, determined to achieve a mastery of painting. He studied traditional techniques for many years and at the age of 40 began to develop the style for which he would be known in his mature career.

His early work, which I like a lot, is more like traditional Chinese landscape painting, his mature style was a turn on the schools that emphasized the portrayal of simple small bits of nature rather than grand landscapes. He combined that ink painting style with modern colors and is renowned for his deceptively simple, colorful and intimate portrayals of flowers, insects, vegetables and grass blades.

6 comments for Qi Baishi (Chi Baishi, Ch’i Pai-shih) »

1. Comment by Wm Wray
    Sunday, October 1, 2006 @ 2:50 am

Love the Chinese watercolorists, I have a few books I found reciently of animals. they do the greatest chickens of all time. Tanks for the review, insightfull and fair. Who could ask for more?

2. Comment by Robert Yates
    Friday, November 17, 2006 @ 1:57 pm

Charley,

Great article on Chi Bai-shih (Qi Baishi), and I am glad that you enjoyed my website; The Yates Collection I hope you found the Info helpful for this article.

Respectfully, Robert Yates

Friday, November 17, 2006 @ 2:50 pm

Robert,

Thanks. Your collection was quite helpful and the best source I found on the web for images of his watercolors.

4. Comment by Leon
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 @ 12:16 am

Qi Baishi is the very famous artist of China. So much stories of Qi Baishi there are in China. The link is his portrait. http://news.xinhuanet.com/collection/2003-01/29/xinsrc_500604cb2f2d42859cdf70270babab42.jpg

5. Comment by Robert Scott
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 @ 10:40 am

Dear Sir I am contacting you to ask if you could perhaps take time and look at a painting that I have on Ebay Item number: 380452960497 . I listed this unknowing that it could be by the artist Chi I Pai-shih, until I was contacted and offered £1000 for the watercolour, any information you could provide me in identifying if this is or not would be appreciated. Best regards Robert Scott

Saturday, July 7, 2012 @ 11:29 am

I am not an expert. Sorry. There are art appraisers out there who would know, but of course, you have to pay them. I’ll leave your comment open in case anyone else happens to read this who can provide more information.