Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Scott Altmann

Scott Altmann
Here we go again, another intriguing young (I presume) illustrator who provides little background information on his own site, so I’ve dug around for what I could find.

Altmann graduated from the Illustration department of the School of Visual Arts in New York. He lists his favorite comics artists as Winsor McCay, Geof Darrow and Frezzato, and his favorite non-comics artists as Rembrandt, Klimpt, Dewing, Mucha, Nerdrum and Dean Cornwell.

He works in oil for his illustrations, but likes to work in digitally for some pieces, and has a gallery on the CGSociety site. His clients include Wizards of the Coast, UpperDeck Entertainment and Green Ronin Publishing.

He also does work for Fantasy Flight games, including the cover for the Grimm roleplaying game for which there are discussions of his working process in the form of PDF files here and here.

Altmann divides his time between illustration and gallery work and exhibits at the Roq la Rue gallery.

Altmann’s web site, which is subtitled “Illustrations and Hauntings”, has sections for Illustrations, Sketches and Personal Work. He has a blog called Bad Dreams Good Nightmares..

5 comments for Scott Altmann »

1. Comment by Daniel van Benthuysen
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 @ 3:58 pm

Thanks for posting Scott’s work. Scott managed the Monday evening figure drawing group out here at the Art League of Long Island for quite a while. The pages of fantasy drawings in his sketchbooks always held at least as much fascination for the rest of us as the drawings done from the actual models who came to pose (who, not surprisingly, included very few genuine gremlins, beasties or creatures with wings).

One week, uncertain because the following Monday might be construed as a holiday I asked if we were still going to meet for more life drawing. “Always!” was his reply, “till the end of time.”

2. Comment by Arkady Roytman
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 @ 5:28 pm

Besides being super-duper talented, Scott is also a super-duper friend (and former rock star).

3. Comment by Min Yum
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 @ 6:48 pm

It’s so good to read about Scotty and seeing his work on the spotlight, he’s someone I dearly look up to for inspiration! and a dear friend. And I have his album!!

4. Comment by Tiffany Prothero
    Friday, May 18, 2007 @ 4:37 pm

‘Altmann can paint me a rainbow any day.’
    One of the most creative illustrators in the industry.
    An inspiration, and a very good friend.
    Thank you for highlighting such an awesome person and artist.

5. Comment by Dr. Darla Wilshire
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 @ 8:50 am

I was lucky enough to purchase a painting of Scott’s entitled, “Wings”. It is the cover drawing for book 1 of a new children’s series. I met Scott at Illuxcon in Altoona, PA. He is a charming person much like the characters he creates. I look forward to seeing and purchasing more of his work!