Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Friday, September 26, 2008

Erin Kelso

Erin Kelso -
When I discovered Erin Kelso’s work on conceptart.org, I did my usual dig to see what else I could find about the artist, who was listed only as “bluefooted”.

I eventually found out that she also has a presence on deviantART, where she is also listed only as “bluefooted”, but no actual website or blog.

I eventually contacted her, found that she does have an actual name, and that she a PhD in evolutionary biology and a Master’s in zoology and is working for a university; and her art is done in her off hours.

Kelso is largely self taught as an artist (though I think I saw in a post that she is taking a class of some kind currently), and takes her inspiration from numerous sources. When I contacted her, she confirmed my thoughts that she was influenced by artists like Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, Gustav Tenggren and Gustave Klimpt; and mentioned contemporary artists like James Jean, Jon Foster, Yoshitaka Amano, Michael Kaluta in addition.

Kelso does her drawings in pen and ink, and sometimes pencil, scans them and applies color and textures in Photoshop and Painter. (She has a brief Fake Watercolor Tutorial on her sketchbook post on the conceptart.org forums – about halfway down.)

It is the strong design elements and artful use of texture that make her work particularly appealing for me. I also enjoy the pen and ink and watercolor approach that carries some of the flavor of both drawing and painting; and her nice combination of Rackham-inspired line work with areas of Klimpt-like textures and patterns.

Posted in: Illustration   |   5 Comments »

5 comments for Erin Kelso »

1. Comment by christina f
    Friday, September 26, 2008 @ 10:24 am

wow, i ran acoss her work the other day at conceptart.org and was disappointed i couldn’t find more about her besides the deviantart site. she sure is super-talented!

2. Comment by Koldo
    Friday, September 26, 2008 @ 1:41 pm

I didn’t know about Erin’s work and I completely amazed. I love the way she perpetuautes the tradition of the old masters -Dulac, Rackham, Tengrenn…-. I’ll definitely keep an eye on her work, I wish she had a website/blog of her own to keep updated. And I wonder how come I haven’t seen her work in the libraries!

3. Comment by cweed
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 @ 9:44 am

Wow, all that talent and a PhD too! She puts me to shame! Thanks for this post and thanks for finding and highlighting the work of talented artists.

4. Comment by Lisandro
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 @ 2:34 pm

I have seen her work on deviantart and she has beautiful work. Her style makes her stand out and the subject matter makes it interesting to look at. Great post.

5. Comment by jason
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

I love her. I received this months ImagineFX this month and i was happy to see a to see a paint work shop from her in there.