Anything painted directly, on the spot, always has a strength, a power, a lively touch that is lost in the studio. Your first impression is the right one. Stick to it and refuse to budge.
- Eugene Boudin
Nothing makes me so happy as to observe nature and to paint what I see.
- Henri Rousseau

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bill Carman

Bill Carman
Bill Carman has an approach that combines stylish exaggeration, line, painted rendering, texture, design and a variety of applications of color to achieve an entertaining and eye-catching range of illustrations, paintings and drawings.

Carman studied at De Anze College and Brigham Young University and is currently a professor of illustration and drawing at Boise State University.

In addition to his work for clients like Lucas Arts Entertainment, TSR, Opera Idaho, Ford Aerospace, UTNE Reader, and a number of other editorial and commercial accounts, his work has been featured in publications like the Society of Illustrators Annuals, American Illustration and the Spectrum collections of contemporary fantastic art. He is the author and illustrator of the children’s book What’s That Noise?, from random House.

The gallery on his own site is essentially just a shopping cart for giclee prints; of more interest is the wider range of work shown on his gallery on Boise State University, which is divided into sections like illustration, children’s books, paint stuff and draw stuff. I particularly like the pieces in the painted stuff section. Don’t miss the Altoids icon at the bottom of the pop-up that leads to a selection of painted Altoid tins, and the sketchbook link to the right of that.

There are also larger images of some of his paintings in the Tor.com gallery.

Posted in: Illustration   |   12 Comments »

12 comments for Bill Carman »

1. Comment by Irene
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 @ 11:30 am

Funny – just yesterday I was showing his work to an editor and saying telling them how much fun it is to wonder what stories are taking place in Carman’s images.

2. Comment by Bill
    Monday, September 29, 2008 @ 10:56 pm

Great to be mentioned here. Just thought I would add my new blog. Trying to keep up with the new stuff. billcarman.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 @ 8:25 am

Thanks for the comment, Irene. I agree, I want to know what’s going on at the dinner party above left, for example…

Other readers can check out Irene Gallo’s superb blog The Art Department, which I’m delighted to say she is continuing to update in addition to her contributions to the ongoing Tor.com main blog,

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 @ 8:26 am

Thanks, Bill. My pleasure. I’ve added the new blog to the main post’s list of links.

5. Comment by chris breshears
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 @ 6:39 pm

I have a couple of Bill’s originals hanging around the house. LOVE his work.

6. Comment by Perry Allen- Basement Gallery Inc.
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 @ 1:33 pm

I have had the great pleasure over the last 8 years of being the representative for Bill and his wonderful works. He is a true delight both as an artist and as a friend. The best way for me to describe ‘the stories that take place in his images’ is to say that they are always very unique, whimsical, and intelligent. I have yet to see Bill produce anything that doesn’t totally blow me and the viewing public away. Each and every exhibition is a step above the previous exhibition (i know that statement is hard to believe…but it’s true!)I think I own more Carman’s than any other person on the planet…except maybe his wife? I have been collecting his works since the very first exhibition I had for him in 2000…it is a serious addiction I have and hopefully I never find the cure…

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 @ 6:57 pm

Thanks for the comment, Perry. I can see where they would be hard to resist.

Does your gallery have a web site?

8. Comment by Perry Allen- Basement Gallery Inc.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 @ 5:37 pm

Hi Charley, sorry to disappoint, but no I no longer have a gallery web site. Keeping the site up and running became far to complicated, involved, and costly over the years. Also the majority of the artists I represent these days have their own sites and I simply pass that info onto the customers (plus their sites are always much more cohesive, informative, and up to date)

Thanks and have a good day-Perry

Thursday, October 23, 2008 @ 5:59 pm

Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

10. Comment by Jane Brumfield
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 @ 11:49 pm

Bill Carman has a new exhibition at Brumfield’s Gallery in his hometown, Boise, Idaho. The show opens 16th March.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 @ 8:57 am

Thanks, Jane. I will try to mention the show closer to the opening date.

12. Comment by Jane Brumfield
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 @ 9:38 am

Thanks Charley. That would be great. It is his first hometown show for two years.