Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Petar Meseldžija

Petar Meseldzija
Petar Meseldžija is a Serbian artist who started in comics, publishing a comic called Krampi in the comic magazine Stripoteka and working on a short licensed Tarzan series.

He then went on to study painting at the Art Academy in Novi Sad and began to take on illustration work, eventually abandoning comics for illustration and gallery painting.

Meseldžija works in a fantasy vein; his atmospheric and highly textured visions of other worlds have tactile presence and lively energy.

He frequently seems to control space with areas of the canvas, both objects and negative space, blocked out by dominant areas of color, within which there are more subtle variations.

His online galleries showcase both his illustration and gallery art.

His gallery paintings also often take on a fantasy motif, with touches of beautifully handled classical drapery and dramatic lighting. You will also find more traditional portraits and still life subjects as well as some nicely immediate and painterly landscapes.

8 comments for Petar Meseldžija »

1. Comment by adebanji
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 @ 11:19 am

Great to see something on this artist, I once saw one of his works in Spectrum, and I was amazed by the way he treated the silk fabric of a womans dress. Thanks for the link to him. Very inspiring!

2. Comment by dustin
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 @ 3:45 pm

Amazing lighting and drapery!

Thanks for posting often and sharing all the great stuff with the perfect amount of variety. I look forward to it everyday.

3. Comment by Li-An
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 @ 10:26 am

His horses are great ! Too bad there is no book about his work…

4. Comment by Petar Meseldzija
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 @ 2:07 pm

Greetings to all of you from the Netherlands,

There is now a book on my work!
    It is an oversized (40 x 29 cm / 16 x 11 1/2 inch), luxurious, 48 page book.
    It has been published a few weeks ago in Serbia. Within a few days (according to my webmaster) the information about this book will be posted on my website.

All the very best,

Petar Meseldzija

5. Comment by Chris Ousley
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 @ 5:54 pm

Drapery and lighting reminds me of Frederic Leighton.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 @ 11:30 am

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I’ll try to post a link to the book when it becomes available.

Here’s my post on Frederic Leighton.

7. Comment by markus
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

Amazing! i like drapery, lighting, texture and gesture

8. Comment by Duncan Long
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 @ 10:22 pm

What a fantastic service to those of us who love illustrations (and illustrators), new and old.

I’m a freelance book cover artist (my clients include HarperCollins, PS Publishing, Pocket Books, Ballistic Media, American Media, Fort Ross, Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine, and many others), and I suspect you and your readers might be interested in the collection of my illustrations I have online at: http://DuncanLong.com/art.html

Keep up the good work!