Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ben Aronson

Ben Aronson
Two things strike me about painter Ben Aronson’s work, geometry and edges.

The geometry is often prominent, as in his cityscapes and interiors, arrayed not only in the patterns of their own geometric intersections, but in the slashing diagonals of shafts of light and dark, punctuated with floating solids of sun and shadow.

Aronson’s edges, on the other hand, are often subdued, softened and blurred so they are simultaneously clear and indefinite. You know without question that two shapes meet with an edge, you just don’t quite know where. This is most evident in his figurative work; though even here he places his figures within geometrically complex interiors.

These elements combine with even more subtlety in is contemplative still life subjects, often simple arrangements of flowers in a glass, that are little marvels of light, shadow, shapes and playful edges.

Aronson was born into an artistic family, both of his parents active as painters, and his father a well known teacher, as well as inheriting a lineage from his great grandmother who was a painter and illustrator.

In addition to his family influence, and his study with painters like Phillip Guston and James Weeks at Boston University, Aronson takes inspiration from artists both traditional and modernist. His work is represented in a number of museums and private collections.

[Via Painting Perceptions]

6 comments for Ben Aronson »

1. Comment by Julian Merrow-Smith
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 @ 3:13 pm

Yes Charley he’s exciting, he was one of the painters I looked at before my recent Paris trip and then I found that Yellow Rose painting – I just love those edges. Shame there’s not more of his work out there to see.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

Thanks, Juilan. I agree, it’s unfortunate that the amount of work available online is limited, though the galleries linked do have some additional pieces.

3. Comment by MarkCalifornia
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 @ 5:37 pm

Incredible stuff, I too wish there was more to see!

4. Comment by Edward Burton
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 @ 7:58 pm

Aronson is one of my favorite painters – I agree, he does incredible work. Both the Jenkins Johnson Gallery in San Francisco and the Tibor De Nagy Gallery in New York have really nice catalogs available of his work.

5. Comment by Adebanji Alade
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 @ 8:13 pm

Thanks for this post, I just love this guys work! His urban scenes have a sort of sketchiness to them but then there’s more hidden depth to it, part of which you have revealed in his mastering of geometric shapes! Great Painter!

6. Comment by Kate
    Monday, June 15, 2009 @ 11:06 pm

Since the winter I’ve been looking forward to seeing his work at the Ogunquit Museum of American Art in Maine this summer but I recently discovered that his web site is incorrect and he won’t be showing. Anyone know where he will be, or how to be in touch with him to be on a mailing list?