Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Jos van Riswick

Jos van Riswick
Jos van Riswick is a contemporary Dutch still life painter, living in Nijmegen, Holland, and working in the general tradition of the Dutch still life painters of the past.

Van Riswick is a self-taught painter, originally having studied and then taught physics. He started painting in an Impressionist style; but then, after becoming familiar with some contemporary Dutch realists, started to reach back and study the masters, and moved to a more finished realist style.

His subjects are often fruit, vegetables, china and glassware; items that have been the staples of still life painting tradition, as well as tin boxes, tools, and other household items.

Van Riswick employs a controlled, subdued palette, with careful attention to lighting and shadow in his compositions. Though his handling is fairly finished, he leaves enough painterly surface to convey the appeal of visible, tactile paint. Texture is also an important element in his portrayal of physical objects; he captures the surfaces of wood, metal, glass and, of course, the various food items, with subtle visual clues and brief notation of variations in color and value.

His web site features his studio work. He also has a blog, Postcard from Holland, that features his more immediate small paintings, supplemented with a secondary web site that archives those smaller works.

There is an article on his site about technique, and he also posts videos to YouTube that are in instructional time-lapse records of the process of painting some of his small daily paintings (image above, bottom left, with finished piece, bottom right). These are very direct and simply done, and as such, are some of the more useful still life painting instruction videos on YouTube.

8 comments for Jos van Riswick »

1. Comment by Martin
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 @ 11:57 am

He lives in Nijmegen

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

Corrected. Thanks.

3. Comment by Raining Acorns
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

In doing research for a piece I’m working on about illuminated manuscripts, I not only discovered your glorious site, but also your post today featuring the wonderful realist artist Jos van Riswick. Today, for me, thanks to finding your blog, the internet is indeed a magic carpet. For the reason I say that, go to http://rainingacorns.blogspot.com/2010/02/riding-magic-carpet-daily-painting-on.html.

4. Comment by patent drawings
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Great work. The shading is amazing.

5. Comment by Tay
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I can paint, but can’t draw very well. I have been working on learning to draw and a peach is currently what I’m working on so I can really appreciate this painting. Although, I imagine he had an easier time painting this than I have drawing one.

6. Comment by Betty
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

These Jos van Riswick paintings just make my heart sing. Oh to capture the light, the glorius light.

7. Comment by Valentino
    Friday, February 19, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Nice works. Remind me on great Henk Helmantel

8. Comment by Valentino
    Friday, February 19, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Only that Henk is interested not just in still life arrangements in themselves, but even more in the mood and atmosphere of the piece. He likes to paint air around his compositions, so to speak.