Monday, June 14, 2010

Al Williamson 1931-2010

Al Williamson
I’m sorry to report that Al Williamson, one of the greats of 20th Century comics art and a personal favorite of mine, died on Sunday at the age of 79.

For more see my posts on Al Williamson and Al Williamson’s Flash Gordon: A Lifelong Vision of the Heroic.

[Via io9 and CBR]

Posted in: Comics   |   6 Comments »

6 comments for Al Williamson 1931-2010 »

1. Comment by Jim
    Monday, June 14, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

:(((

2. Comment by Joani
    Monday, June 14, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

I’m very very sad to hear this. I still remember my first comics-drawing book, and remember his art as one of the most influential – his beautiful art always captured my attention.

3. Comment by Dave Dubé
    Monday, June 14, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Flash Gordon… I saw this strip as a kid. Loved it then in a big way. It was – well – FLASH! I’m sorry to hear he’s no longer with us.

4. Comment by Bob Andelman
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

Learn more about legendary comics artist Al Williamson in this Mr. Media interview with his friend and artist Mark Schultz, in which he discusses the book Al Williamson’s Flash Gordon: A Lifelong Vision of the Heroic.

5. Comment by IamANT
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

Sucks. His shading was some of the best.

6. Comment by Gerry Mooney
    Friday, June 18, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

I just heard this news today. Too bad, he was an original and a class act. That pen and ink work was unmistakable and always a pleasure, dynamic but disciplined. The original beatnik comic artist from what I’ve heard!