Monday, August 2, 2010

They Draw and Cook

They Draw and Cook: Alya Mark, Emilia Szewczyk, Krista Hamrick, Jennifer Lorton, Abz Hakim, Johnathan Hawker, Aneu Martinez, Michael Robertson
They Draw and Cook is a great idea, a series of short recipes submitted by illustrators and other artists who cook (or cooks who illustrate), accompanied by or in the form of illustrations, and served up fresh daily in blog form.

The entries are varied in both illustration style and approach to food and drink, making a nice stew of topics and images. The images are reasonably large (much larger then my small previews above); and the entries include the location of the artists, who are from around the globe, as well as links to their websites or blogs; so They Draw and Cook also serves as an illustration blog with links to lots of artwork and portfolios.

Note that it may be easy to miss the link to older posts, as it is small and not quite at the bottom of the page (above the “Submit a Recipe” section).

They Draw and Cook is maintained by the brother/sister design and illustration team of Nate Padavick and Salli Swindell, who comprise Studio SSS. Salli also writes the wonderfully titled blog manic expressive.

It looks like the authors are planing a print version of the idea, their submission requirements include permission to use the material in print and ask the artists to consider the gutter in their design.

Padavick and Swindell also maintain a charming offshoot blog, Kids Draw and Cook.

(Images above:
Alya Mark
Emilia Szewczyk
Krista Hamrick
Jennifer Lorton
Abz Hakim
Johnathan Hawker
Aneu Martinez
Michael Robertson)

[Via Metafilter]

Posted in: Illustration   |   5 Comments »

5 comments for They Draw and Cook »

1. Comment by jennifer lorton
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

Thanks so much for the mention. I love They Draw and Cook, and I was thrilled when they wanted to include me!
    You have a great blog, keep up the good work.

2. Comment by Nate
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Wow – Thanks for the nice words Charley! You picked a beautiful batch of recipes to showcase – so many to chose from, right?! Thanks again.

3. Comment by Raincloud
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 @ 3:34 am

I’m fan of their blog! Creative idea with great illustrations.

4. Comment by Abz
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Thanks for the mention! It’s great seeing how this blog is doing; and how you’ve mentioned several artists! Thanks for including me in it :)

5. Comment by Artixi
    Monday, August 9, 2010 @ 5:00 am

I love the one from Emilia Szewczyk. I clicked through to the recipe site, then to her site. I love her sense of humour/despair. (And no I’m not a friend, but I’ve just re-read my comment and it sounds like I might be her mother!)