Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Benoît Mandelbrot, 1924 – 2010

As I described in my post about him from 2008, Benoît Mandelbrot was not an artist, but a mathematician.

His work, however, has enabled others, from dedicated computer artists to dabblers, to create the multitude of stunning images we know as ‘fractals”. In the process, he deepened our understanding of nature and the concept of infinity.

Benoît Mandelbrot died this morning at the age of 86.

There is a bio on Wikipedia, from which the images above were taken. They are part of a set of images in which each is a magnified crop from the last (I’ve skipped some in the sequence above).

For more, see my previous post on Benoit Mandelbrot, in which I give a better overview of Mandelbrot and his contribution, a brief explanation of fractals and links to images and other resources.

[Via Kottke]

Posted in: Digital Art   |   5 Comments »

5 comments for Benoît Mandelbrot, 1924 – 2010 »

1. Comment by Jeroen
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

:( rip

2. Comment by David Teter
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

Fascinating stuff it is… I had seen his complex images before I knew what they were and could not imagine creating them. Then I saw the PBS show on him and it all came to light. It explains so much.

In fact we could not have ‘antennaeless’ cell phones without his fractal geometry. If you can watch the PBS show I highly recommend it. It got me thinking and especially seeing in a whole new way.

Sad he is gone, but look what he left us!

3. Comment by Chris Dunn
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 @ 8:13 am

My condolences to the Mandelbrot family.

As strange as this may seem, the first group of images remind me of what the eye sees when closed. My biology is poor but maybe it is something to do with the iris/retina adjusting?

4. Comment by Melissa Behring
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 @ 8:58 am

I had no idea that Benoit passed. Many of my friends have had prints of his work hanging in their studios. What a loss. Thank you for sharing.

5. Comment by Jeff
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Sad story but very cool work. It’s really amazing the way some artists can translate mathematical formulas into a visually inspiring piece.