Monday, April 25, 2011

Ray Morimura

Ray Morimura
Tokyo born artist Ray Morimura creates woodblock and linocut prints that manage to feel at once traditional and modern.

His crisp, sharp edges of color delineate forms that often repeat or combine to form patterns, at times varying in size to suggest perspective and distance.

Morimura studied painting at Tokyo Gakugel University. He originally worked in abstraction but, inspired by the prints of Shigeru Hatsuyama and Sumio Kawakami, he took up the study of woodplock prints.

[Via BibliOdyssey, on Twitter @BibliOdyssey]

5 comments for Ray Morimura »

1. Comment by Dave Dubé
    Monday, April 25, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I look at these and think – M. C. Escher. Beautifully modern in the Oriental vein.

2. Comment by Artist
    Monday, April 25, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

I like how you use the colors. Colors can create a special mood, excellent work. As having synesthesia I live a life of colors. I see colors when I hear names and numbers. If you like you can check out my synesthesia paintings on Wordsintocolor.com.

3. Comment by Beth West
    Monday, April 25, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Beautiful and mysterious.

4. Comment by loma
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 @ 6:59 am

Exquisite eye candy….and then there are those entrancing depths….an utterly irresistible combination to me!

5. Comment by Rosa's Picks
    Friday, April 29, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Amazing! These prints are like a maze for the eyes! Very stimulating…