Monday, November 7, 2011

Art Nouveau style mural in Montreal

Art Nouveau style mural in Montreal by A'Shop
Here in Philadelphia, which has, I believe, more anti-graffiti murals than any other city in North America, I’ve seen my share of large scale and nicely done murals on the sides of buildings.

However, in Montreal, members of A’Shop, an artists collective that draws from the graffiti and street art culture, has created a mural that is inspired by Art Nouveau designs (primarily Mucha’s background designs), an approach I have not seen before.

Ironically, the mural is done using graffiti techniques and tools – spray paint. There is an article on My Modern Met that goes into the process of painting the mural, and another on the A’Shop site.

Posted in: Outsider Art   |   7 Comments »

7 comments for Art Nouveau style mural in Montreal »

1. Comment by Kiolia
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 @ 7:27 am

That’s mostly gorgeous, but I’m glad I don’t have to look at it every day. Seems like there are some nagging anatomical issues with her face…not that it isn’t a rough angle at which to compose a face.

2. Comment by Kiolia
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 @ 7:27 am

“Rough” as in “difficult”.

3. Comment by Addie Hirschten
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Awesome! I am obsessed with Art Nouveau.

In Indianapolis where I live the Art Council and the City are funding 46 new murals in honor of the Super Bowl. (And sports need not be the subject matter on the murals.) Isn’t that cool!

I wrote a funny blog post about it and got more hits from that entry than any other that month: http://fantasticfableswithaddiemay.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-good-thing-about-super-bowl.html

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

I think the photos are also taken at an angle to the work.

5. Comment by Painting in Indianapolis
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

Awesomeness!
    Looking at the 2nd photo – I’m thinking of the long and difficult process the painting might have through and the end product is just amazing! The colors are awesome.

6. Comment by Pictures Painting
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 @ 2:57 am

Awesomeness!The painting might have through and the end product is just amazing! The colors are awesome.

7. Comment by Barbara J Carter
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Lovely, except for the face. Too bad about that.