Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Thursday, January 12, 2012

John Singer Sargent on Met Museum website

John Singer Sargent on Met Museum website
Today is John Singer Sargent’s birthday.

A search for his work on the wonderful, recently redesigned website of the Metropolitan Museum of Art brings up over 600 images.

Yes, the iconic and astonishingly accomplished society portraits are well represented, and if you want to focus on those, you can limit your search to show only artworks on display, which sharply reduces it to 18 finished and beautiful works.

Part of the fascination for me, however, is exploring the less finished, less often seen works by Sargent in the museum’s collection, including watercolors, drawings and sketchbooks.

Sargent was prolific, and sketched and painted in watercolor for his own pleasure in addition to his more finished commissioned portraits.

The wonderful thing about browsing the Met’s website, aside from the amazing quantity and quality of their collection of Sargent, is that almost all of the images are viewable in large, sometimes wonderfully large, versions.

On each image’s detail page, click on the image or the “View fullscreen” link below it, and then zoom, or even better, use the download image arrow at bottom right to view the image larger.

This gets my Major Timesink Warning.

Enjoy.

8 comments for John Singer Sargent on Met Museum website »

1. Comment by Nancy Ewart
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

I spent a delightful afternoon browsing all the offerings; what a glorious web page. Happy Birthday John – thank heavens for you and your talent that continues to enrich our lives.

2. Comment by Adebanji Alade
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 @ 11:11 pm

Thanks so much for this, I was in the library yesterday, reading his books and I discovered that it was his birthday, so I am so overjoyed by this post.! Thanks so much for sharing!

3. Comment by Stephanie Berry
    Friday, January 13, 2012 @ 9:11 am

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You rock! I saw an exhibit of Sargent’s work-mostly drawings–at the Corcoran in DC a few years ago. His work is so amazing.

4. Comment by Rownd
    Friday, January 13, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Wow! Massive and large, how cool is that.

5. Comment by rc reese
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

I have always loved his work!!! I have tons of his books and sorolla’s books.

6. Comment by rc reese
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

Thank you for sharing these images…if you get a chance stop by my place…

rcreesestudios.com

7. Comment by Eric Kelly
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

Curse you for ever alerting me to the Met’s high res images. I may never be seen again….

Sunday, January 15, 2012 @ 12:00 am