Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mysterious paper scultures of Edinburgh

Mysterious paper scultures of Edinburgh
Since March of last year, a series of wonderful and whimsical paper sculptures have been anonymously left on tables and shelves in libraries in Edinburgh, Scotland.

It feels like something from a novel, and may in some way have a connection to the detective novels of Ian Rankin, but there is no indication he is involved, other than perhaps in inspiring a fan.

The sculptures are made from books and pages of books, and extol the virtues of book and libraries. They were often accompanied by notes, one of which reads in part: …” In support of Libraries, Books, Words, Ideas [...] and All things ‘magic’…”

There were, over a period of months, 10 sculptures left by the mysterious artist, who on the last sculpture left a note signing off with “Cheers Edinburgh it’s been fun!

Most of the articles I’ve come across refer to images from this Flickr set of photos by Chris Scott.

6 comments for Mysterious paper scultures of Edinburgh »

1. Comment by Bill Carman
    Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 9:04 am

OK, I’m going to start something. Destroying books in order to extoll books and libraries. Is there a message? Or are there plenty of books out there so the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 9:26 am

A good point, Bill. My take is that there are so many books thrown out/recycled every year that a few sculptures hardly make a dent; and if libraries close, as is happening all too frequently these days, many more will go that way.

3. Comment by Randall Imai
    Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 9:57 am

In my opinion, it is precisely the honored role that books (the object) have in our psyche that makes them a valued medium for art.

4. Comment by Bill Carman
    Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 1:37 pm

This is not a criticism. I used old books for handmade sketchbook covers. The question is about the possible ironic message. Maybe I’m reading too much into it because it’s fun for me. Maybe it’s because I love books so much that there is a struggle in seeing a mangled book as support for a book. It’s not about books as a physical resource, there are an awful lot being tossed aside, but about the visual message.

The sculptures are beautiful objects and I have seen others do this wonderfully:

(http://www.guylaramee.com/index.php?/biblios/text-1/,

But for me there always seems to be that, what are you doing?, moment. Like I said I’ve used books myself and they are a wonderful physical resource each with its own history. This is not a logical argument just a noticeable illogical twinge.

Monday, January 16, 2012 @ 1:44 pm

Yes, a pertinent thought. I’ve also experienced that twinge when seeing other sculptures based on carving or otherwise utilizing books (e.g Sue Blackwell: http://www.linesandcolors.com/2011/10/03/su-blackwell/ ), so I know what you mean.

(I’m also writing from a house that is having some structural issues due to the weight of books).

6. Comment by Desiree
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

A lot of books used by artists to create paper sculptures and other works of art are damaged in some way previously.