Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chuck Jones shows how to draw Bugs Bunny and other WB characters

Here are a few short videos (on YouTube) in which the ever brilliant Chuck Jones shows how he draws some of his iconic characters: Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Pepe le Pew, Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner.

“…learn how to draw a carrot, then you can hook a rabbit onto it.”

“Depending on what our budget is, we can use three or two whiskers.”

[Via Kottke]

Posted in: AnimationCartoons   |   11 Comments »

11 comments for Chuck Jones shows how to draw Bugs Bunny and other WB characters »

1. Comment by Peace Artist
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

Thank you for your awesome blog. Just a note, the links to videos are not there, but dead. Thank you for all you do.

Peace

Thursday, March 15, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Thanks. I just checked the links and they seem OK.

3. Comment by Lorette
    Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 7:23 am

As a child I used to draw tortoises. Their heads were no more than an oval with a mouth ‘en profil’ and I called them Plokkie, just out of the blue.
    How I wish all these cartoon characters would come alive today.
    Thanks, Charley!
    P.S. Don’t forget Cow and Chicken. Cow’s udder is a round stool on four legs.

4. Comment by Peace Artist
    Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 10:22 am

Perhaps I’m doing something wrong, but they still don’t work for me.

5. Comment by Peace Artist
    Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 10:23 am

My bad, I see the “links” down below. I erroneously thought that the pictures were the links to the videos. Sorry for the trouble.

6. Comment by Shark
    Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 1:03 pm

May I know what kind of pencil and paper did Jones use? Simply graphite pencil? As I see that he can draw a real dark line with just a single heavy stroke.

7. Comment by Lorette
    Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

There’s a clue here you might consider Mr Shark.
    Perhaps somebody can help you with the drawing paper. Good luck!

Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Actually, the mistake is mine. Usually when I feature an animation I show a sequence of screenshots from one video. In this case I didn’t and the images look like the much more common blog convention of embedding the video directly in the post (which I don’t do). Sorry for the confusion.

Friday, March 16, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I don’t know exactly, but there are a number of very black graphite pencils available, like the Prismacolor Ebony pencil and the Palomino Blackwing. Also check out other kinds of pencils like Wolff’s Carbon pencils and charcoal pencils.

While we’re on the subject, here’s a post I wrote some time ago on pencils.

10. Comment by Shark
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

Thanks Lorette, I am checking it out. :D

11. Comment by Shark
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

Thanks Charley! I really don’t know there is Carbon Pencil! But I am afraid I can’t get it from my local store, as I live in Hong Kong.

But you really give a piece of useful information, thanks again.