Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Maurice Sendak 1928 – 2012

Maurice Sendak
Maurice Sendak, one of the premiere book illustrators of the late 20th/early 21st centuries, died today at the age of 83.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a large repository of his work on the web.

The Rosenabch Museum and Library, a small museum here in Philadelphia, houses the preeminent collection of his works, and has a small gallery of images available online.

Two quotes from Sendak:

“I refuse to lie to children.”

“Kids books… Grownup books… That’s just marketing. Books are books.”

For more, see my previous post on Maurice Sendak.

Posted in: Illustration   |   5 Comments »

5 comments for Maurice Sendak 1928 – 2012 »

1. Comment by Jimbo
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Sendak was brilliant but owed a rather large debt to Winsor McCay.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

Yes. Obviously for In the Night Kitchen in particular, though I doubt he would have been at all reluctant to acknowledge that.

For the benefit of other readers, here is one of my posts about Winsor McCay.

3. Comment by Camilleon
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 @ 9:23 am

From which book is the illustration with the little hooded figures? I feel like I read that several times as a kid, but I can’t remember its title!

4. Comment by Daniel van Benthuysen
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 @ 10:48 am

Sendak did a number of interviews over the years with Terri Gross on NPR. In one he confessed that he long ago stopped doing signings or readings at schools because children were frightened by him and many were disturbed by the idea that grown-ups wanted him to write in their books, something they were constantly told not to do themselves.

He did however cherish a letter from a little boy who asked if it was expensive to travel to where the wild things are. The boy wrote, “If it’s not too expensive, my sister and I would like to spend the summer there.”

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 @ 10:59 am

Camilleon, the hooded figures are from Outside Over There.