Friday, September 14, 2012

Jacqueline Lou Skaggs

Jacqueline Lou Skaggs
Painting on copper has a fairly long history in art, achieving a particular popularity among northern European artists in the 16th Century, and still has its contemporary proponents. Likewise the painting of miniatures also has a long history in art and is practiced by a number of contemporary artists. In the early 20th century, the Dadaists began experimenting with what would come to be known as “found art”, making already existing objects into art pieces.

In her series, Tondi observations, one of the three series currently displayed on her website, contemporary artist Jacqueline Lou Skaggs brings these three seemingly disparate genres together in twelve works — painting miniature oil paintings on the copper surface of discarded U.S. pennies.

Interestingly, as she points out in her description of the series, her actions elevate the value of the coins while simultaneously defacing them.

As you view the works, the individual large images can be clicked on for larger versions.

[Via Kottke]

6 comments for Jacqueline Lou Skaggs »

1. Comment by Janice
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Amazing! Love it!

2. Comment by Robie Benve
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Wow! I love this idea, I never thought of painting on coins before, and suddenly I want to do it too!

3. Comment by Pat
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

I;m just a consumer and wondering if they (the penny paintings are for sale?

thank you would like to know.

Pat

4. Comment by Sharla Carr
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 @ 9:25 am

I really would love to put my recently departed mother in laws picture on a penny as it was her name. It would mean so much. How could I do this?

5. Comment by Andie
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 @ 10:20 am

AWESOME!!!

6. Comment by Shubhangi
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

These are gorgeous! I have seen many miniatures from India but I have never seen Impressionist miniatures……these are beautiful!