Thursday, December 27, 2012

Eye Candy for Today: Monet winter scene

Ice Floes, Claude Monet
Ice Floes, Claude Monet.

A marvel of atmosphere and suggestion.

In the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Use Fullscreen and Zoom or download.

5 comments for Eye Candy for Today: Monet winter scene »

1. Comment by Randall Imai
    Friday, December 28, 2012 @ 9:09 am

uh… that would be “floes”

Friday, December 28, 2012 @ 10:01 am

Uh…right you are. Corrected. Thanks, Randall.

3. Comment by Bill Carman
    Friday, December 28, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Never been a fan of impressionist painting, thinking yes (not that you’re interested in what I’m a fan of or not). But there are a few pieces that I really enjoy and this is one. Thanks.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 @ 7:56 am

Thnks, Bill. On the contrary, I’m often interested in what people like, particularly when they step outside their usual range of preference, which is in large part what I seek to encourage with Lines and Colors (both in others and myself).

Monet painted a number of these very atmospheric river scenes in his later career. Many of them by returning to the same spot repeatedly. You can see some of them by viewing the Wikipainitngs chronological listing for Monet around 1897.

There is a painting of the same scene in the Met’s Ice Floes here in the Philadelphia Museum of art, titled Morning Haze (unfortunately not currently on view).

5. Comment by Sarah
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

I love the subtlety of this. Love your blog too Charley, always quality stuff!