Friday, January 25, 2013

Retro Future Transportation Illustrations on DRB

Retro Future Transportation Art on DRB
Is it the future yet?

I just love past visions of the future (particularly when the future is in our past).

The folks at Dark Roasted Blend, as they often do, have assembled some nice collections of retro future illustration — in this case past visions of future transportation, mostly culled from popular science magazines from the early 20th century — in a series of articles:

Retro-Future: Mind-Boggling Transportation
Retro-Future Transportation Showcase, Part 2
Retro-Future: Glorious Transportation Update

Art credits, unfortunately, are a bit spotty. In some cases links are given to image sources elsewhere on the web. They have also mixed in some more contemporary illustrations, but they’ll be outdated soon enough.

I can’t wait for 1973!

8 comments for Retro Future Transportation Illustrations on DRB »

1. Comment by Bruce C. Meyer
    Friday, January 25, 2013 @ 4:26 pm

I’d like to see (not capable of making it myself) a retro future illustration of 2013 that portrays the present world in all its weirdness and wonder and awe. Imagine, every school child having a television in his or her hand, watching a black president, paying $3.50 and up for a gallon of gas and $2.00 for a bottle of Coca-cola from a vending machine. No more magazines to speak of, but everyone gets unlimited movies, including the “French-style Art Films, ooh-la-la.’ I can’t think of any more wonders of wonders, but they are there.

Friday, January 25, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

Hang on, I’ll ask someone. “Siri, what other wonders were the past futurists not expecting?”

3. Comment by Sharon France
    Friday, January 25, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

What fun old illustrations to see!

4. Comment by Sherrill
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 @ 12:51 am

Wow! My 1973 automobile didn’t look anything like that one! :P

How fun this was! Love this type of looking back at the reality vs past predictions! Love our wonderful imaginations! Thanks for another great post!

5. Comment by Bill Carman
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 @ 12:47 pm

Very cool post Charley.

6. Comment by photo to pencil sketch
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

Wonderful illustration from future, love it:)

7. Comment by kirkistan
    Monday, January 28, 2013 @ 10:41 pm

These are terrific! I am completely fascinated by our old views of tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

8. Comment by photo to pencil sketch
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

I like the design and colors of all cars and transportation here, really creative love it.