Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Nantala Kantala

Nantala Kantala
As far as I can tell, Nantala Kantala is a Japanese illustrator, and/or anime artist.

I only have this site to go by, and Google Translate has been of little help. I did find, however, that the characters to the immediate left of the top image are links to other images.

I’m even unsure, as I often am when encountering Japanese names on the internet, which is the artist’s surname (or if it’s a handle or pen name).

I like the work, though.

[Via FFFFOUND!]

8 comments for Nantala Kantala »

1. Comment by Rownd
    Friday, February 8, 2013 @ 9:13 am

The pencils are fun to look at!

2. Comment by Protokitty
    Friday, February 8, 2013 @ 10:05 am

The artist’s name is Honyarara. The name is an obvious pseudonym though.

3. Comment by Colin Peters
    Friday, February 8, 2013 @ 11:12 am

“Nantara Kantara” is the name of the web site, and roughly means “something or other” or “somehow.” It implies, at least in my mind, a kind of roundabout journey to getting somewhere. As mentioned by Protokitty, the artist calls his or herself “Honyarara,” which is a sort of nonsense word used when you don’t know what word to use, like (again) “something or other” in English.

They include a few biographical details: Born and living in Wakayama; born in 1987; “Not at this time accepting illustration work.” Apparently he or she is (was?) active on Pixiv (a Japanese illustration social network site, sort of like Deviant Art), and have had a few works published in illustration collections and at least one manga. I’m not really sure he or she is a professional illustrator. In fact, I get more of the vibe of a serious amateur who would rather keep it a pleasurable hobby than turn it into a career (but I have not much to base that on but my feeling).

I haven’t visited their Pixiv profile. It does mention on their site that their “adult” work, presumably NSFW, is hosted over there.

Hope this helps. They sure are some beautiful pictures.

Friday, February 8, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

Thanks, I would not have figured that out. My searches for “Nantara Kantara” went nowhere.

For the benefit of other readers, a search for “Honyarara” will turn up additional images (some of them NSFW).

5. Comment by Jim Hartlage
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 @ 8:00 am

I really like the color palettes used on each of the paintings.

6. Comment by Cours dessin
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 @ 12:50 pm

Incredible colors and lines.
    Fantastic work.

7. Comment by Arin
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Loving the backgrounds. Like how packed with stuff they are.

According to this site, Honyarara is also the artist for a visual novel game, Dramatical Murder, for Nitro+Chiral, which is most definitely NSFW:

Seeing some of the images of the game the character styles are the same as these here, so definitely same artist( but again NSFW ).

8. Comment by Escah
    Monday, February 11, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

The artist uses a different name on Pixiv, and Japanese illustrators often do. There is a link to the bottom left of the site you found. Doesn’t seem like he/she posts a lot of things in the internet though