Thursday, April 11, 2013

Eye Candy for Today: Bierstadt’s redwoods

Giant Redwood Trees of California, Albert Bierstadt
Giant Redwood Trees of California, Albert Bierstadt.

On Google Art Project; click in lower right of image for zoom controls.

Original is in the Berkshire Museum (no image).

Bierstadt dazzled east coast society with his large scale paintings of a largely untamed continent. Few natural wonders could match these magnificent giant plants.

Giant Redwood Trees of California, Albert Bierstadt

5 comments for Eye Candy for Today: Bierstadt’s redwoods »

1. Comment by Katherine
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

Now THOSE are some serious trees! Thanks for the inspiration!

2. Comment by Bill Marshall
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

Beautiful! I haven’t seen this one before. Brings back memories of the great forests of my home state.

Thanks, Charley.

Bill

3. Comment by As Built Drawings
    Saturday, April 20, 2013 @ 8:16 am

nice..nice seen…….thanku

4. Comment by Kathy Huntress
    Friday, June 28, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

I have wanted a print of this painting for years. I finally thought I’d found one, & what I got was a painting made by some Chinese artist who tried to copy it, the paint barely dry. Nice effort, but he was no Bierstadt! Are you aware of any prints? I live in the redwoods, & he does capture the feeling & sillence.

Friday, June 28, 2013 @ 8:11 pm

Hi Kathy. My best suggestion is to search for “giant redwood trees of california by albert bierstadt print” and among the choices, read the details carefully to make sure they say “print” and not “hand painted” or “handmade” reproduction.

Heres one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Poster-Giclee-Print-canvas-California/dp/B00DLAQIIE
    This is the same one: http://wahooart.com/Art.nsf/BuyPrint?Open&RA=8BWKZH&BuySize=10+x+12+inches+/+25+x+30+CM&gclid=CP2J4Ob9h7gCFUOi4AodZxsAvA

Another: http://www.accents-n-art.com/prints-albert-bierstadt/giant-redwoods-of-california.html

you can also search for the terms: giant redwood trees of california by albert bierstadt poster:

I’m afraid you’re also on your own in guessing how faithful to the original the color of the reproduction is likely to be. I would try to get close to the Google Art project image, but printmakers often exaggerate colors to make the prints “more appealing” (sigh).