Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Eye Candy for Today: Bouguereau’s Spinner

The Spinner, William-Adolphe Bouguereau
The Spinner, William-Adolphe Bouguereau; larger version here

Somehow, despite my fondness for nineteenth century academic art, I can’t get all goggle-eyed and worshipful of Bouguereau the way they do over at the Art Renewal Center. Neither do I jump on the bandwagon of reviling him as facile and shallow, or as an enemy of the Impressionists (which he was).

I do, however, recognize him as a very good painter, particularly at his most direct.

See my previous post on William-Adolphe Bouguereau.

8 comments for Eye Candy for Today: Bouguereau’s Spinner »

1. Comment by Steve
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

It’s almost as if he paints in HD photography. There is detail in the lights, detail in the darks, and look at the sheen on the dress!

2. Comment by Mark
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 @ 11:38 pm

The treatment of the clothing is sic! I have suffered (!?!) with ADD since my youth and I am blown away just by other commitment alone. I, much like yourself, don’t worship Mr. Bouguereau as others might but I can certainly appreciate the masterful workmanship and quality of his craft. What a painting!

3. Comment by Ælle
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 @ 2:37 am

Bouguereau was a great painter, but clearly obsessed with hands and (bare) feet. The Spinner’s right hand reminds me of a spider.

4. Comment by Valentino Radman
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 @ 11:23 am

I am not sure if he was “enemy of the Impressionists”. Perhaps he was, but I remember reading an interview with B. in which he said something like “I do not have anything against them. I just do not see the world as they see it. That’s all.”

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

Perhaps enemy is a strong word, but Bouguereau disapproved of them and used his very influential position on the Salon jury to repeatedly deny them acceptance.

6. Comment by Albert. S
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 @ 11:52 pm

You know, when ever i see a Bouguereau he reminds me of what Daniel Parkhurst says in his classic book. Seeing values properly involves being able to see into a fourth dimension. Bouguereau, reminds me of that statement. Then you can go on and talk about his statement of anatomy and love for beauty of innocence. It must have been a real privilege to have been able take a few lessons from him..:) WHatever that meant back in the 19th centtury.

7. Comment by Sherrill
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 @ 1:43 am

I know his work fell out of favor with much of the art world . . . but I can’t help devouring his work with my eyes. I can stand in front of his paintings for hours.

For me, his paintings are the ultimate eye candy! I am in complete awe of his technical mastery, his choice of subjects, his palette . . . . well . . . everything. While I hear it said that anyone can learn the techniques, I don’t think I could ever, ever come even remotely close to being able to being able to produce a painting in his league no matter how much time I devoted to practicing.

He is definitely one of the artists I wish I could go back in time and watch work! Thanks for sharing, Charlie! :)

Thursday, June 27, 2013 @ 10:18 am

He was a noted teacher. His students included the brilliant American portraitist, Cecilia Beaux.