Friday, August 30, 2013

The Unicorn Magical Drawing and Painting Horse

The Unicorn Magical Drawing and Painting Horse
As I mentioned in my 2007 article on “The Drawing bench (horse)“, I’m fond of the arrangement provided by these usually simple benches that allow for a “sight-over” position when seated and drawing.

I say “usually simple”, because I got a kick out of comment recently posted to the article on this amazingly deluxe variation, apparently suitable for a Gilded Age drawing room. The manufacturer’s site, for the bench, which they call the “Unicorn LE” and describe as “a magical drawing & painting horse”. I’m not exactly sure about its specific magical properties, but it has a delightful tagline that reads: “Elegant enough for the living room and sturdy enough for the studio”. I suppose you could get matching ones for either side of the couch.

I had to chuckle a bit, as this is a far cry from the normal plain arrangement of three or four boards, even when factory bought rather than cobbled together from scrap lumber. I haven’t tried one, of course, but the padded seat and handy storage drawer look just dandy.

The website doesn’t list a price, suggesting you contact the company (display and graphics firm, Scale 2) for information, so maybe you have to hock your car and sign away hour first born to afford one, I don’t know.

Sure is pretty, though.

(Aside: I found out that the term “drawing room” as often used in Victorian times, has nothing to do with artists, but is rather a shortened version of “withdrawing room”, a room to which one withdraws after a meal for conversation and other diversions.)

[Suggestion courtesy of Layil Umbralux]

11 comments for The Unicorn Magical Drawing and Painting Horse »

1. Comment by John kaay
    Friday, August 30, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

Magical? I don’t think so!
    Nothing that couldn’t be hacked together in an afternoon for $30.00 by someone with some hand tools.
    They’re really great for drawing in the studio though.
    What I’d like to see is a combination French easel and drawing horse, collapsible and with wheels.
    I love your site. I check it every day. Thanks!
    John

2. Comment by cparker
    Friday, August 30, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

The wheels would be great — a French easel hobby horse! Thanks, John.

3. Comment by Sherrill
    Friday, August 30, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

The ones in my art classes sure didn’t look like that! There were many days I would have appreciated a little padding! :) I like John’s idea of collapsible with wheels!

4. Comment by Nancy Ewart
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

That certainly is a deluxe version. I remember the old, wobbly, and uncomfortable ones from my drawing classes. In fact, I started bringing my own pillow because they were so uncomfortable, especially for the long poses. That one above is so fancy that I would be nervous about spilling ink on it or getting it dirty. And what art school could afford to buy enough for a whole class.

As always, your site is fun, fascinating and educational.

5. Comment by Bill Carman
    Sunday, September 1, 2013 @ 10:37 am

My back hurts just looking at it. But my butt would be happy.

6. Comment by Layil Umbralux
    Monday, September 2, 2013 @ 2:27 am

Hah. Awesome. Glad you like it! ;)

7. Comment by Ælle
    Monday, September 2, 2013 @ 6:58 am

Drawings and watercolours made without the Unicorn Magical Drawing and Painting HORSE, during the war in dire circumstances must not be overlooked.
    “In memory of (all) prisoners of war who perished during WW2 in South East Asia.”

8. Comment by David J Teter
    Monday, September 2, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

… nice, especially those drawer glides, are those ball bearings?

9. Comment by Ælle
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 @ 3:35 am

More drawings and sketches without the horse.

10. Comment by Ælle
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 @ 5:03 am

I can’t tell what forensic artist Gil Zamora is sitting on while sketching blindly for ‘Dove Real Beauty’ sketches.

11. Comment by Luc
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

If you click through to the order form, the pricing is listed as $323 for natural finish and $348 for one of the stains. They also list a wheel option for $48. Assuming the build quality is good, it seems a reasonable price to me…now to convince the wife :)