Monday, November 4, 2013

Urban Sketchers blog turns 5

Urban Sketchers blog: Stephen Gardner, Fred Lynch, Sagar, Murray Dewhurst, Virginia Hein, Matthew Brehm, Enkaterina Khozatskaya, Kumi Matsukawa, Suhita Shirodkar, Simone Ridyard
The Urban Sketchers blog, which I first wrote about in 2008,
just marked its 5th anniversary (the corresponding Flickr group is about a year older).

There are sketches from contributors around the world to this blog, the tagline of which is: “See the world one drawing at a time”.

In addition to pencils, pens, markers and other typical drawing instruments, many of the sketches are done in watercolor, or pen and watercolor.

I particularly enjoy those occasional photos in which the sketch is shown in the context of the subject, not only because it’s interesting to see the scene being interpreted, but because you get a much better sense of the scale of a drawing than you do as an isolated image on a web page.

(Images above: Stephen Gardner, Fred Lynch, Sagar, Murray Dewhurst, Virginia Hein, Matthew Brehm, Enkaterina Khozatskaya, Kumi Matsukawa, Suhita Shirodkar, Simone Ridyard)

5 comments for Urban Sketchers blog turns 5 »

1. Comment by John Smith
    Tuesday, November 5, 2013 @ 2:37 am

It is a great collection of painting with some realistic touch in it. A genuine piece of art.

2. Comment by Jody Bryan
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 @ 1:04 am

#4 from the bottom looks like it is by urban sketchier Shari B… can not spell her name, but she is from Montreal and a very good artist.

3. Comment by Jody Bryan
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 @ 1:10 am

Shari Blaukopt is the artist in #4 from the bottom.

4. Comment by Matthew Brehm
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

A belated but heartfelt thank you, Charley! Thanks for creating an endlessly fascinating blog, reacquainting me with some old favorites (artists and artworks), and especially for exposing me to so many wonderful artists I wasn’t yet familiar with. I often fall behind, because you’re impressively prolific … but, thanks to my newsreader, I never miss a post. And it’s really an honor to see one of my watercolors here! So thanks again and I wish you all the best in the new year.

Saturday, December 28, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

My pleasure, Matthew. Thanks for the comments, and keep up the great work!