Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

"Selfies"

Selfies, self portraits by Albrecht Durer (2), Rembrandt van Rijn (2), Elisabeth-Louise Vigée-Lebrun, Vincent van Gogh, Diego Velázquez, Anders Zorn, Cecilia Beaux, Gustave Courbet
I am told by the internets that “selfie” has been chosen as the Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year.

Helpless as I am to swim against the mighty tide of popular culture, I give you a few interesting “selfies” done without benefit of iPhone.

I’ve started with Durer’s remarkable self-portrait at the age of 13 (above, top) along with his Christ-like self-portrait at the height of his powers. I’ve followed up with Rembrandt, both early and later in his career, and included a few more with no particular qualification other than I like them.

As I put this post together, the list quickly grew too large for a single article, so I’ll follow up with more over the next few days.

(Images above: Albrecht Durer (2), Rembrandt van Rijn (2), Elisabeth-Louise Vigée-Lebrun, Vincent van Gogh, Diego Velázquez, Anders Zorn, Cecilia Beaux, Gustave Courbet)

8 comments for "Selfies" »

1. Comment by David J Teter
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

Leave it up to you Charley to not let that get by you for a timely post!

Curse that Durer, doing that at only 13! He was just showing off! (love Durer). Jeez!, or I guess, later… Jeezis!

Just to have a little more fun with this post… artists who look like artists from the past.

Anthony Waichulis (whom I don’t know and have never met) looks a lot like the second Durer, hmmm?
    here: http://www.artrenewal.org/pages/artist.php?artistid=6415

And I always thought that Johnny Depp resembled the Courbet portrait.

Makes you wonder?
    Just saying… ; )

2. Comment by Sherrill
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 @ 12:47 am

:) David, I smiled when I read your comment . . . I immediately thought of Johnny Depp when I saw Courbet’s portrait also! Wonder if there is any relation somewhere along the line? :)

3. Comment by cparker
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 @ 4:07 am

Hmmm… time travelers, eh?

4. Comment by Bill Carman
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 @ 9:39 am

Selfies? Kind of an unfortunate choice of word the internet gods have chosen. Love the post Charley.

5. Comment by Sara
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

Hilarious take on the selfie. Things haven’t changed so much after all. I love the Courbet the best.

6. Comment by larry
    Tuesday, November 26, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

I love that Rembrandt drawing. A selfie that would look equally at home on any facebook page or in any museum. Ha.

7. Comment by Melissa
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 @ 1:39 am

I’m always entertained by how portrait artists clothe themselves in their self-portraits as they supposedly do their work. Somehow I don’t think VigĂ©e-Lebrun dressed like that for a day in her studio!

8. Comment by cparker
    Sunday, December 1, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

No. Though I think many portrait artists and court painters may well have dressed in fine clothes while painting for the benefit of their patrons.