Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tang Wei Min

Tang Wei Min
I’ve long been fascinated with the cross-pollination of ideas and styles between the artistic traditions of Asia and Europe. Even though they are technically on the same continent they were effectively separate worlds for much of the time their artistic methods and traditions were developing.

Now, of course, the world is melting together, connected by strands of optic fiber and jet contrails, but the traditions are being maintained in some quarters and mixed in others

Tang Wei Min is an artist from Hunan Province in China who applies the painting styles and techniques of the European masters to subject matter drawn from the traditional costume and ceremonial dress of historic China.

In paintings that carry the feeling of Baroque era European painters, particularly Rembrandt, Tang Wei Min paints rich, incisive portraits of people in decorative robes and head dress (something Rembrandt himself was quite fond of), and at times, gives a nod to his inspirations by mimicing the composition of particular paintings by Rembrandt and others, including the pose from Vermeer’s Girl With a Pearl Earring (above).

I really enjoy his Rembrandtesque chiaroscuro and great chunks of impasto white highlights, combined with the fascinating clothing and intensely portrayed faces of his sitters.

I couldn’t find a dedicated web site for the artist; I came across his work on the Art Renewal Center, and with a little digging found that he is represented by a number of galleries in China and the U.S.

6 comments for Tang Wei Min »

1. Comment by Daniel van Benthuysen
    Thursday, May 29, 2008 @ 4:14 pm

This image also puts me in the mind of van Eyck’s Man in a Red Turban (which may be a self-portrait.) Tang creates a kind of contemplative quiet that for me seems to predate Rembrandt and Vermeer (without denying the relationships them) and takes me back to Memling, van der Weyden et al.

2. Comment by Robert Tracy
    Sunday, June 1, 2008 @ 3:57 pm

Beautiful. Interesting how she gives the mouth her own view and it’s fine. Different from Vermeer’s view. His is one that is truly sensual in the sense of sexuality, something so difficult to project in painting.

I like hers. But no one except Vermeer can project that exquisite almost hidden sign of a girl whose moment of feeling is meant to be “hidden”. That is to say, private.

Beautiful painting.

3. Comment by illustrationISM
    Friday, June 6, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

You immediately fall in love with Ting’s subjects!
    She paints from her soul.
    Thanx for showing me this!

mark jaquette @
    illustratonISM &
    BAMmGRAPHICS

4. Comment by C.Frei
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 @ 9:34 am

I have loved Wei Min’s work from the very beginning. I now own 5 of his paintings and consider him to be a friend. I think he will someday be known as a modern master in the art world. He has grown as an artist since we first met and his portraits are more and more refined. I do not know one other artist today who uses his techniques. Not only that, he is a sweet and humble person. An amazing talent!

5. Comment by Helen Broadfoot
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 @ 9:49 pm

I would like to respond to the comment left by C. Frei. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this beautiful artist. He is my inspiration. I could look at his paintings for hours on end, neglecting my own. It seems impossible to find a contact number to share my adoration and applause for his hard work, so, if you indeed know him, please pass along my love and wonder at his beautiful work. He is “THE” modern master of today.

6. Comment by Lisa Rae
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 @ 11:49 am

I would love to see Tang Wei Min’s paintings. They are absolutely exquisite. I have not seen anything comparable by a contemporary artist! I am a portrait artist working in the Boston area (specializing in pastel portraits), also working on a large-scale mythological series in oil. If there is an opportunity to view his work in the Northeast area, please let me know at email hidden; JavaScript is required. This would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!