Thursday, June 30, 2011

René Magritte: The Pleasure Principle

Rene Magritte: The Pleasure Principle
René Magritte: The Pleasure Principle is the title of a major exhibition of the Surrealist artist’s work at the Tate Liverpool that is on view until 16 October 2011.

Other than the image at top, I have no idea if the images above are included in the show; I’ll just take any excuse to post his paintings because I love the way they make your brain wiggle and woggle and go all flippy-flop in its brain pan.

For more, including links to online image resources, see my previous post on René Magritte.

5 comments for René Magritte: The Pleasure Principle »

1. Comment by Lorette
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

These are the 5 Fantômas films he loved.
    1.Fantômas. Serial in three episodes. Released April 1913. Produced by Gaumont Studios. Directed by Louis Feuillade.

Cast: René Navarre (Fantômas), Edmond Bréon (Juve), Georges Melchior (Jerôme Fandor), Renée Carl (Lady Beltham); plus Jane Faber (Princess Danidoff), Naudier (Nibet), Volbert (Valgrand).

Film version of the first Fantômas novel, Fantômas.

2.Juve contre Fantômas (Juve versus Fantômas). Serial in four episodes. Released September 1913. Credits as above.

Cast: as above; plus Yvette Andreyor (Josephine).

Film version of the second Fantômas novel, Juve contre Fantômas.

3.Le mort qui tue (The murderous corpse). Serial in six episodes. Released November 1913. Credits as above.

Cast: as above; plus Jane Faber (Princess Danidoff), Naudier (Nibet), André Luguet (Jacques Dollon).

Film version of the third Fantômas novel, Le Mort qui tue.

4.Fantômas contre Fantômas (Fantômas vs. Fantômas). Serial in four episodes. Released February 1914. Credits as above.

Cast: as above.

Film version of the sixth Fantômas novel, Le policier apache (The thug policeman).

5.Le faux magistrat (The false judge). Serial in four episodes. Released May 1914. Credits as above.

Cast: as above; plus Mesnery (Marquis de Tergell), Martial (Ribonard).

Film version of the twelfth Fantômas novel, Le magistrat cambrioleur (The burgler judge).

2. Comment by Antonio
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Yes, I saw this on Friday 24 while I was visiting Liverpool. What a luck! I saw the first, the second, the fifth and eh last one (if my memory is not mistaking)

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Wonderful. Thanks for letting us know some of the pieces in the show.

4. Comment by jane gardiner
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 @ 5:32 am

“I love the way they make your brain wiggle and woggle and go all flippy-flop in its brain pan”

think I’m gonna borrow this phrase . . . .

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 @ 7:02 am

Help yourself. There’s more cooking in the brain pan.