Sunday, December 18, 2011

Where They Draw

Where They Draw artist studios: Jim Woodring, Lucy Knisley, John Martz, Roman Muradov,  Michael MW Kaluta, Tom Neely
I don’t know about you, but I find photos of other artists’ workspaces fascinating.

Where They Draw is a Tumblr blog devoted to photos of artists’ working spaces that seems particularly focused on the spaces of cartoonists and comic book artists.

Whether that’s an intentional focus or just the way it’s worked out so far, I don’t know. The blog’s curator doesn’t give much indication, and the blog is relatively new. Most of the spaces would feel somewhat familiar to other artists who work in comics or related fields.

For those who want a more general look at artist studios and working spaces, see this extensive Flickr group titled Art Studio.

(Studios above, from Where They Draw: Jim Woodring, Lucy Knisley, John Martz, Roman Muradov, Michael MW Kaluta, Tom Neely)

[Via Stuart Immonen and Eric Orchard]

8 comments for Where They Draw »

1. Comment by rene fijten
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Well now it’s obvious, I’ll have to learn to play guitar if I want to be a cartoonist. 4 out of 6 pictures have guitars. I am sure in the other ones they are behind the photographer.

2. Comment by Tanja
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Quote: “The fascination is probably partly simple curiosity and partly looking for ideas, with perhaps a touch of finding reassurance that other artists function in spaces that are as messy as mine (grin).”

LOL- so very true!

3. Comment by David J. Teter
    Sunday, December 18, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

Yeah, I have always been fascinated by other artists’ studios.
    And mine too gets messy… I call it organized chaos of course… since I know where everything is.
    I’m also reassured that even many successful artists don’t have huge, lavish, perfectly decorated studios as we would like to think.

I did notice in the studio of Michael MW Kaluta that to achieve greatness you must have TWO electric pencil sharpeners, one round, one flat.

4. Comment by Jordan Shiveley
    Monday, December 19, 2011 @ 12:37 am

Hey, glad you liked it.

5. Comment by Sarah Lynch
    Monday, December 19, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

I have recently acquired an iPad and have been using the wonderful app called Flipboard for viewing my blog feed. For some reason your images are very fuzzy and out-of-focus when viewed this way. I haven’t noticed it with any other images and I don’t have a problem when viewing your images on my PC. I just thought I would let you know. I always enjoy your blog and look forward to discovering new artists and becoming reacquainted with some old friends.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Thanks, Sarah. I’ve tested the regular wesite on the iPad in the web browser and it seems to display OK, but I haven’t had the opportunity to use Flipboard, so I’m unsure of what could be happening. I’ll try to check into it. Thanks for the good words about Lines and Colors.

7. Comment by Daniel van Benthuysen
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 @ 9:38 pm

I dunno, these all look pretty nice. If I posted a photo of my studio I’m afraid it would invite a raid by the board of health.

8. Comment by Sandi Hester
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 @ 11:42 am

Just did a video on my blog of my new studio – thought I’d share http://paintingtheword.com/2012/04/06/getting-all-high-tech-here-a-video/
    Thanks for sharing the pictures – loved looking at them!