Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Girl With a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings From the Mauritshuis

Girl With a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings From the Mauritshuis, Johnannes Vermeer, Carel Fabritius, Abraham van Beyeren, Jacob van Ruisdael, Reambrandt van Rijn
While the Mauritshuis, The Royal Picture Gallery in The Hague, Netherlands, is undergoing renovations, some 35 wonderful examples of their extraordinary collection of paintings are touring the US.

The group includes Vermeer’s Girl With a Pearl Earring, as well as treasures by Rembrandt, Frans Hals, Carel Fabritius, Rachel Ruysch, Jan Steen, Jacob von Ryisdael and others.

The show is currently at the de Young Museum in San Francisco, where it will be on display until June 2, 2013.

It then moves to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, where it will be on display from June 23 to September 29, 2013.

A smaller subset of 15 works, titled Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Hals: Masterpieces of Dutch Painting from the Mauritshuis, including Girl with a Pearl Earring as well as works by Rembrandt, Hals, van Ruisdael, Steen and Fabritius, will be on display at the Frick Collection in New York from October 22, 2013 to January 19, 2014, which is when I hope to see them.

(Images above: Johnannes Vermeer, Carel Fabritius, Abraham van Beyeren, Jacob van Ruisdael, Reambrandt van Rijn)

[Addendum: Reader Ælle points to an interesting interview with Mauritshuis Director Emilie Gordenker on ArtsATL]

6 comments for Girl With a Pearl Earring: Dutch Paintings From the Mauritshuis »

1. Comment by David J. Teter
    Monday, May 6, 2013 @ 3:05 am

Oh I wish this exhibition made a few additional stops in the US, like Los Angeles, especially since their home is far away.
    Quit an impressive group.

2. Comment by Ælle
    Monday, May 6, 2013 @ 6:09 am

Last month, on April 13, 2013, Atlanta’s source for arts and reviews featured the following interesting article c.q. interview worth reading by Stephanie Cash, on Vermeer’s subject painting of the ‘Mona Lisa of the North’.
    Q&A: Mauritshuis Director Emilie Gordenker on “Girl With a Pearl Earring” and other Dutch treats

Monday, May 6, 2013 @ 7:43 am

At first I thought it was only at the de Young, I was glad to see it was in at least two other venues, one of which is within my reach, even if for a smaller set of the paintings.

Admittedly, those of us on the east coast, particularly the mid-Atlantic states, already have access to most of the Vermeers and Rembrandts in the U.S., between the Met, the Frick and the National Gallery (and one small Rembrandt here in Philadelphia), but I’m particularly looking forward to seeing Girl with a Pearl Earring, not so much because of its fame, but because it’s so different from his other compositions.

I saw it in the mid-90′s at a show at the National Gallery, but I didn’t know as much about Vermeer at the time and I’m looking forward to seeing it with fresh, if somewhat older, eyes.

I saw the unassuming little goldfinch by Fabritius at the Vermeer show in NY in 2001, and it’s absolutely beautiful.

Monday, May 6, 2013 @ 8:17 am

Thanks, Ælle. Ive added mention of the article to the post.

5. Comment by Bill Carman
    Monday, May 6, 2013 @ 11:04 am

You made my day Charley. I also saw the Pearl Earring here in the 90s but was much too hurried. I will be in NYC in December for my opening and this is great news.

6. Comment by eLIZabeth Floyd
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

I am sooooo looking forward to seeing this show! Thanks for sharing it on your blog! You always have the most interesting information.

Liz