Saturday, January 30, 2010

Anton Pieck

Dutch artist Anton Pieck was, among other things, a painter in oil and watercolor, a printmaker in etching, engraving, lithography and woodcarving; a comics artist and an illustrator of calendars, travel books, textbooks and classics like 1001 Arabian Nights (image above, bottom).

He was also a drawing teacher at Kennemer Lyceum in Bloemendaal until he retired in 1960. Pieck was born in 1895, when the “Golden Age” of illustration was in full force. One can only assume that he was exposed to the work of the great illustrators of the time, like Arthur Rackham, Edmund Dulac, Kay Neilsen, John Bauer, and in particular, Gustave Tenngren (also here and here).

Pieck’s more popular work has a wonderful visual charm, crafted from fine detail, deft control of color and atmospheric perspective, and fascinating compositions. His illustrations for 1001 Arabian Nights are marvels of book illustration in the classic Golden Age style, vibrant with adventure, moody and evocative in their rendering, and ripe with the sublime enticement of distant lands and exotic cultures.

[Via One1more2time3's Weblog]

24 comments for Anton Pieck »

1. Comment by peacay
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Thanks for this Charley. I have a couple of framed prints of Pieck’s oil paintings of simple town scenes in Holland. I can’t say for sure whether I like them most for his – as I see it – joyful style or because they were given to me by my first and very fondly-remembered (Dutch) girlfriend.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Thanks, peacay. Credit to Hans Bacher, for the post from which I discovered Pieck.

3. Comment by christa
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Great to see a post of Anton Pieck on your site. I grew up with his work and have visited “de Efteling” a Dutch amusement parc. Not sure if you know but Anton pieck has designed a large part of the parc. The part he helped design is called “Het sprookjesbos” which means “The fairy tales forest”. Here is a link in English for more info: http://en.allexperts.com/e/e/ef/efteling.htm

Monday, February 1, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

Thank, Christa.

I also found a Wikipedia entry for Efteling.

5. Comment by Pamela Grochala
    Friday, February 26, 2010 @ 3:41 am

I have 4 of this artist pictures in frames The greengrocer’s The book shop One looks like a market place a kis and a woman with an umbrella The other a market place with a 2 wheeled bike? Know any thing about these prints tell.

6. Comment by Michelle
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 @ 2:51 am

I bought an Anton Pieck toy shop picture from an estate sale a few years ago. It is carved out of a hard material that almost looks like plastic. The picture is 8X10 and is colored and signed in a banner on the bottom. I have no idea how much this carved picture is worth. Has anyone seen one of these carved pictures before?

7. Comment by B. Stockman
    Friday, July 16, 2010 @ 9:54 am

I have a similar one as you mentioned in a material similar to hard plastic and I would love to know if anton Pieck engraved them in this type of material.

8. Comment by Aiesha Ziyad
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

I just bought an antique Anton Pieck purse its not like any other that i have seen on the internet a neighbor of mines had a yard sell for some property that was abandoned a few years ago and there it was i paid two dollars for it not knowing what it was and just Google d his named because its signed on the box. Does anyone know how I can find out what its worth?

9. Comment by Boudewijn Hessel
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 @ 7:33 am

for info about Anton Pieck and his work look at http://www.antonpieckdocumentatie.nl/welcome.htm or send your questions to email hidden; JavaScript is required
    this is the website of the AntonPieckClub Nederland and is partly in english

10. Comment by tony perry
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

i have three of anton piecks original etchings that he eched on the back of a ships menu any offers as they are for sale

11. Comment by tony perry
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

tonyperry1@hotmail com

12. Comment by Ann Williams
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

Hi, I have inherited two prints by Anton Pieck. One is the “Curiosity Shop” and the other is the “Barber and Pewter Shop”. Do you know what the value of either of these decoupage prints are worth? They are in excellent condition. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

13. Comment by Barbara Giovannoni
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 @ 4:37 am

I have a Anton Pieck print/original 3-D of a cafe, with a flag above the building “Old Queens head” I am not sure if this is his original layering of paper.
    Can you tell me what it is worth, if it is an original. It is framed in a thin gold ornate frame with deep red velvet matting.

Thank you !

14. Comment by martina oliver
    Monday, January 24, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

Have a Anton Pieck with a boy playing a flute and a dog and young girl with a basket listening. Also there is a couple looking in a candy store, with a old man smoking a pipe pushing a cart while a old lady with buns in a basket. There is a elephant on top of a door, is there any value to this?

15. Comment by phyllis mediba
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

ihave a very old box that has anton pieck winter fun on ice inside the lid and the outer is painted as well did he make boxes with his painting inside it feels like a real oil painting its real old looking can you help understand this painters work

16. Comment by bazzbat
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 @ 5:25 am

i have 100s of antons prints and im a fanatic of his work thanks for your inserts

17. Comment by Simone Brown
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

Hi also have 4 print by Anton Pieck They are no: 0108,0062, 0049, and a skatting scine.
    When were they done.

18. Comment by victor botica
    Friday, December 2, 2011 @ 12:03 am

hi found a anton 3D picture in a OP shop its has Anton pieck begijnhof Amsterdam 1952.”English Reform Church” in picture

19. Comment by Karen R.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 @ 12:49 pm

Hi, I have 4 plaques, 2.5″ W by 5.25″ L, of what seems to be Anton Pieck 3D art. From what I have seen on the Internet it is his work but they are signed AP with both letters touching. Can anyone tell me if he also signed his work that way. Thanks!

20. Comment by Cindy Sàvaliski
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

I have 2 Etched framed 12×16 pictures..the curiosity shop and the clock shop would like to know how much they are worth. They were purchased about 1990 at fund raiser for my son’s elementary school from the Fine Arts Gallery of Ardmore,Inc. Thank you

21. Comment by Grant Gilliland
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 @ 2:00 pm

I have picked up 2 prints of I believe are his prints. One is titled Graveens??? Ansterdam Nd the other is Delft. I am not sure if the spelling is correct however if you could confirm what I have it would be nice. thank you. The first one is of a child holding a womans hand walking in the street and the second is of a man and a cart with a railing beside a canal

Thanyou again
    Grant Gilliland
    Smiths Falls Ontario
    Canada

22. Comment by Nancy Brown
    Friday, August 31, 2012 @ 3:05 pm

I also have a shadow box with a man sitting and painting…it reminds me of abalone shells. Lovely. Any news on this and possible value.
    Also have a 15×12 of the clock shop. It appears to be painted on a piece of ceramic or very smooth hard plastic. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

23. Comment by Karla Robertson
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Hi all,

My mom passed away last Dec. and my dad is now about to move into an independent living community into much smaller digs! Going through all their treasures (my dad’s an artist and mom loved beauty in all its forms) I came across 5 prints of Anton Pieck’s work. They were sold by Donald Art Co. Inc. NY but printed in Holland. The dates range from 1966-1971. Can anyone help me with the value of these prints? Wish I could upload pictures to this site. Thanks!

24. Comment by Karla Robertson
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

Don’t know the titles…need to do more research.