Those who are not conversant in works of art are often surprised at the high value set by connoisseurs on drawings which appear careless, and in every respect unfinished; but they are truly valuable... they give the idea of a whole.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds
We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin

Monday, July 16, 2012

Eye Candy for Today: Cervantes by Doré

Miguel de Cervantes - Don Qixote, plate 1: A world of disorderly notions, picked out of his books, crowded into his imagination, Gustave Dore
Miguel de Cervantes – Don Qixote, plate 1: A world of disorderly notions, picked out of his books, crowded into his imagination by Gustave Doré.

On Wikimedia Commons. Note: the high-resolution file linked from the preview image is genuinely high-resolution: 30mb! Detail crops above are at about one quarter full resolution.

I love the tiny knights jousting on mice in front of his feet.

5 comments for Eye Candy for Today: Cervantes by Doré »

1. Comment by Bill Carman
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 @ 9:58 am

I have always loved his work. Must have had a maniacal work ethic. He stole that jousting mouse thing from me.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 @ 11:16 am

One of the things that staggers me about these super productive artists from the 19th century and earlier is that they didn’t have electricity! Either working by oil lamp or candles or limited to daylight hours.

3. Comment by Melissa B. Tubbs
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Absolutely gorgeous work! I can look at work like this for hours studying the wide variety of line work. Definitely my kind of eye candy!!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I would think Dore would be right up your alley, Melissa!

5. Comment by Peter Kendall
    Tuesday, July 17, 2012 @ 9:28 pm

Thank you for your site.I check it first thing everyday.
    The Dore images are wonderful I spent a day examining them .Absolutely brilliant.In fact it has contributed to a resolution of a technical aesthetic equation I have been working on for decades.
    thanks for being there you are appreciated and valuable.