Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kazu Kibuishi's new Harry Potter cover illustrations

Kazu Kibuishi's new Harry Potter cover illustrations
Illustrator and comics artist Kazu Kibuishi, who I have written about previously, has recently had the enviable task of creating new cover illustrations for the Scholastic re-printings of the Harry Potter books.

There is a brief interview with Kibuishi and some of the covers on io9, and an article with I think one additional cover on Wired’s GeekDad.

You can read more and keep up with news about Kibuishi’s other projects, including his wonderful online comic, copper (which is now collected in a book) and his beautiful series of graphic stories Amulet, on his Bolt City website and blog.

Posted in: ComicsIllustration   |   8 Comments »

8 comments for Kazu Kibuishi's new Harry Potter cover illustrations »

1. Comment by Brian Harrison
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 @ 12:25 am

Mmm, not too impressed to be honest. Seems like a step backwards as far as art goes, and doesn`t seem to fit in with the movies but hey, other`s may absolutely love this work :)

2. Comment by cparker
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 @ 3:37 pm

Perhaps I come in predisposed to like his work, but I like them better than the original covers.

3. Comment by Gary Symington
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 @ 10:09 pm

Although I like some of the color palettes Kibuishi’s used, I’m afraid I find his representation of the main characters too cartoon-like, particularly compared to Mary Grandpré’s covers. A little biased here, perhaps (I read all the Grandpré illustrated books along with my kids).

4. Comment by cparker
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 @ 10:48 pm

I think that makes a difference; I have no attachment to the original editions, but I do favor Kibuishi’s other work, so my associations are different.

5. Comment by Jim
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

Bummer for Mary. Maybe her thought was…I already did this. Plus I never saw it as her strongest work. I really liked Mary back when the art had a Gary Kelley look to it.

6. Comment by cparker
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

I’m not sure these are actually replacing the original books. These are a different line from a different imprint.

7. Comment by Wroena
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 @ 9:25 am

It looks to me like Kibuishi has only seen the movies and hasn’t read the books. These all have definite visual quotes from images in the movies, rather than taking his cues from descriptions in the books. I really liked the cover of The Half Blood Prince, however.

8. Comment by cparker
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 @ 9:30 am

My guess is that was the intention of the publisher in putting out the new line of books: to more closely associate them with the movies.